Monday, March 14, 2011

Creamy Alfredo Sauce

I have been a the lookout for a really good alfredo sauce recipe because I don't really think any of the store varities are that good.  I found this one and have been going back to it time & time again.  It's much less fattening than most other recipes I found but still has a yummy, rich flavor.  We love it best served over penne pasta with tomatoes and grilled chicken.  Enjoy!


Ingredients: 
3 TBSP butter
1 1/2 -2 TBSP flour
2 cups whole milk
Half a block of cream cheese {cut into chunks. Low-fat varieties work just as well!}
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese *(I generally add a tad bit more until I get the consistency I like)
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
salt & pepper to taste
 
Directions:
Melt butter in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour. Gradually add milk, whisking to combine as you go. I generally add it about 1/2 cup at a time, whisk, then wait for the milk to heat up and thicken a bit before adding more.

Once all the milk has been added and it's hot {do not boil!} add the cream cheese. Whisk to combine. Heat the sauce back up before adding the Parmesan cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste. Serve over noodles, with chicken, in a pizza, or however you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment